Library Trainee Program
Compensation: $115,530.00 - $170,900.00 /year *
Employment Type: Full-Time
Industry: Education - Post Secondary
Loading some great jobs for you...
Are you an MLS student who is committed to changing lives and strengthening communities through the power of learning and reading? NYPL is currently recruiting for Library Trainees of all age specialties (Children's, Young Adult, Adult) in the Bronx, Manhattan and Staten Island.
This position involves responsibility for learning library procedures, techniques, and skills under professional guidance of the manger and other experienced library staff. As the Trainee progresses through MLS coursework and in professional ability, he/she will be assigned increased responsibilities related to library operations.
Candidates for the Library Trainee program as are selected on the basis of interest in library work and relevant experience. If selected, a Trainee is required to obtain the Master's degree in librarianship from a school accredited by the American Library Association. The appointment may be terminated if the Trainee fails to complete the program within 3.5 years or does not show ability to develop skills in the performance of professional library tasks. Upon graduation, the Trainee must obtain a Public Librarian s Professional Certificate issued by the State of New York. For more information, please visit the Library Trainee Program page on LAIR.
Library Trainee salaries are based on completed credits in an ALA-approved MLIS program and range from: $42,127 to $45,267 prior to graduation. Upon graduation, Trainees will automatically become Librarians at NYPL.
Under the mentorship of the Library Manager and experienced library staff, the Library Trainee learns to perform the duties of a public librarian while pursuing a Master s degree in librarianship. Over time, the Trainee performance increasingly difficult public service functions and engages children through collections, services, and programs in ways that allow them to follow their interests and discover new ones.
- Assists with outreach to and developing partnerships with community-based organizations, schools, local businesses, and community groups that to promote the Library s services, collections, specialized programs, and resources
- Co-facilitates group and family visits to the Library to enhance the reading skills of children, young adults and adults
- Promotes our collections and reading through readers advisory, staff picks, recommendation lists, blog entries, author talks, book discussions, and other innovative ways, both on site and online
- Provides reference services and resource recommendations using print, media, and digital resources
- Collaborates with the Educational Services Department and Library Manager to develop skills in creating, promoting and facilitating innovative programs to build literacy and a love of reading to meet the expressed and anticipated needs of the community, including early literacy programs, visual and performing arts programming, STEM programs, homework help, gaming events, book discussions, author talks, technology classes, and more
- Partners with the collection development team to shape and maintain the collection, ensuring it is diverse, current, relevant, and meets the needs of the community
- Learns to foster digital literacy and provide age-appropriate technology instruction to children, young adults, and adults
- Assists with development and maintenance of content for social media platforms such as Library blogs, Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, and Pinterest
- Develops and maintains the layout and appearance of the space to ensure a safe and inviting area filled with relevant resources
- Assists with branch operations, including circulation, fines & fees management, reserves, and opening/closing procedures
- In the absence of the Library Manager, may take responsibility for the facility, staff, and operations
- Performs related duties as required
- Enrollment in an ALA accredited Master s degree in Library and Information Studies program
- Bachelor s Degree, preferably with a strong, well-rounded liberal arts background
- Enthusiasm for public service and the ability to work well with a diverse patronage, including children and their parents/caregivers, young adults, adults, and seniors
- Knowledge and appreciation of literature for all ages, audiovisual materials, computer resources, and other materials that constitute a balanced, relevant collection, as well as a love of reading
- Experience building partnerships with local organizations and schools to better meet the needs of community users
- Demonstrated successful interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills
- Successfully demonstrated ability to work as part of a team
- Strong organization and planning skills, including the ability to perform multiple projects or tasks simultaneously
- Strong computer and other related technology skills, including MS Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Google applications, PCs, Macs, and e-reader devices
- Demonstrated knowledge of computer services, including online searching, social media, and reference resources and databases
- Basic understanding of emerging library technologies, service and programming trends for all ages, and urban public library issues
- Working knowledge of trends in literature, youth and adult services, and the profession through webinars, meetings, internal training, conferences, professional literature, and organizational memberships
- Experience creating and conducting a variety of innovative programs for people of all ages
- Experience developing, maintaining, and promoting collections
- Foreign languages preferred
- Be Helpful to patrons and colleagues
- Be Resourceful in solving problems
- Be Curious in all aspects of your work
- Lifting up to 15 lbs.
- Sitting and standing for periods of time
- Daily use of a computer
35 hours per week
To be scheduled during branch hours
Evenings and weekends as required
Schedule subject to change
Associated topics: automotive, car repair, culinary, heating ventilation air conditioning, horticulture, hospitality, massage, medical billing, plumbing, youth
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.
Loading some great jobs for you...